BBC Facilities Use Policy
The facilities of Bethany Baptist Church (hereafter “the Church”) were provided through God’s benevolence and by the sacrificial generosity of its church members.
This policy applies to all BBC church facilities and properties, including all grounds and all buildings, regardless of whether the facilities are connected to the Church sanctuary.
Because BBC is not staffed nor equipped to be in the facilities rental business, facility use will only be permitted to active members (as defined in the Church’s Constitution and Bylaws and not inactive members nor attenders) not advancing or advocating beliefs, practices, or activities that conflict with the Church’s faith or moral teaching, which are stated in the Church’s Constitution and Bylaws.
Priority of Usage
Priority shall be given to active church members that are part of the ministries, or sponsored activities of the Church. Since church facilities are primarily reserved for ministry use, requests for regularly occurring use typically will not be accepted. Church facilities may be made available for one-time use to active church members only who meet the following qualifications:
- The active member requesting a one-time facility use must affirm that their designated use of the facility will not conflict with the Church’s Constitution and Bylaws.
- The active member requesting facility usage must not use our facilities as an extension of their business, e.g., use our facility to gain a particular certification or provide a new service.
- The active member requesting facility usage must not use our facility to prospect our membership for business gain, e.g., offer free seminar with something that appears to benefit membership, but in reality causes membership to use your product/business/service.
- The active member seeking facility use must be willing to take responsibility for the facilities and equipment, and must agree to abide by the Church’s Guidelines for facility use as stated below and as described in any additional instructions by church staff. Consequences may include additional fees and/or review by the Church Council for any potential remedial action.
- Alcohol Policy: No alcohol may be served or consumed on the church campus.
- Smoking Policy: Smoking inside any church building or within 10 feet of any entrance is prohibited.
- Groups are restricted to only those areas of the facility that the active member has reserved.
- Kitchen use is not implied; written permission must be gained prior to use of the kitchen or the equipment therein.
- Church equipment, such as tables and chairs, must be returned to original placement unless other arrangements are made prior to the event.
- All lights must be turned off and doors locked upon departure.
- Clean-up of trash is the responsibility of the active member using the facility unless other written agreements are made.
- Abusive or foul language, and violent behavior, are strictly prohibited on church premises. Any person exhibiting such behavior will be required to leave the premises.
Any groups that were previously approved prior to the approval date of this policy may, on an annual renewal basis, be approved by the Church Council for continual use. The Office Manager shall maintain this list of groups previously approved and produce it for the Church Council when renewals are required. Only the Church Council may approve any exceptions to this policy.
Facility availability is assessed per the specific request and priority is given to current ministry activities. Some things to consider:
- Need and/or availability of janitorial service before or after an event.
- Need and/or availability of a church member to physically be present and oversee the entire event including setup and cleanup.
- Potential disruption of any previously scheduled event on the BBC church calendar and any other regularly scheduled ministry event (e.g., AWANA or Youth Group, and we do not schedule Saturday evening weddings in the sanctuary that would potentially disrupt Sunday services, etc.).
The Deacon of Facilities acts on behalf of the Church Council in making decisions about facility usage requests. If the Deacon of Facilities position is vacant, this responsibility falls to the Church Council, who may delegate the approval authority to the Office Manager, who would first consult with the office and pastoral staff along with the Council Chairman, then approve or reject the facility use request.
Facility use requests shall be made to office staff by submitting the “BBC Facilities Usage Request Form”. This event will be reserved and placed on the calendar only after the facility use request has been approved. Any facility use request may, at the discretion of the approver, be submitted to the Church Council for further review, prior to approval. If a facility use request is denied, the active member may petition the Church Council, by submitting a written request to the Council Chairman for reconsideration.
Prior to the event, active church members may be required to pay any janitorial fees that may be incurred. All applicable fees are due at least one week prior to the scheduled event.
Insurance may be required by the Deacon of Facilities or designee. If so, the active member must obtain comprehensive general liability insurance coverage in the amount of at least $1,000,000 per occurrence and list Bethany Baptist Church, their agents, officers, members, and employees as additional insured and show proof with certificate of insurance. The user must also sign a “BBC Facility Usage Request Form”.
Subrogation: If required to provide a Certificate of General Liability Insurance, a waiver of subrogation in favor of Bethany Baptist Church shall be included.